Sometimes - especially if not trained right as a puppy - older dogs will have problems with house training and they may need to be taught or re-taught not to pee or poop inside. You can teach an old dog new tricks and to help you, here are the tips for potty training older dogs.
1. Instead of teaching your dog not to urinate inside, teach them to urinate outside. Many experts agree that it is far easier to teach a dog - especially an older one - to do something rather than teach them to not do something.
2. Provide an area of your lawn for the dog to go outside. Make sure you are very consistent about where they pee or poop because that will make it easier for the dog to learn.
3. Always use the same words for going outside because an older dog can get confused by various commands. Say "Need to Pee?" and keep using that phrase so the dog learns what it means.
4. If the dog does have an accident inside, make sure you remove all traces of it with vinegar and baking soda. Dogs can smell extremely well and if an older dog smells urine inside, they may think they are supposed to use that spot. This is very important for potty training older dogs.
5. Dogs will not pee or poop where they sleep so keep their sleeping area tight so there is no room for accidents around their bed.
6. Instead of feeding your dog before they go to sleep, lessen the amount you feed them to eliminate accidents at night.
7. Always ensure that it is easy for your dog to go outside by providing them with a doggie door if you have a fenced yard. Once they are properly trained, you won't have to do anything as the dog goes outside. This makes potty training older dogs very easy.
Many do not know but the guidance to a dog to bark and also not to bark is a part of the dog behavior training. There is no doubt that the barking of a dog happens to be its greatest characteristic. It acts as an alert for the owner of the dog and helps him in several ways. It is found that a dog may bark because of hunger, feeling isolation or identifying an unwarranted visitor in your home. However apart from this it may also go on barking ad infinitive fancifully and that may earn your indignation.
This is simply detrimental and if this is happening continually you may have already applied several devices to stop it. What is the result? Have you become able to accomplish your objective as an owner? What ails you if you have not? It is necessary for you to go through the reasons and make an in-depth analysis of it. You cannot let it go in this manner since it will make your life a complete hell. You shall have to stop it and this is also a part of the dog behaviour training. It may be that you scream at it whenever it starts barking. But this is not any solution and it will only add to the existing crisis. If you are planning to hit it at each time, it is the high time to stop this. This reckless act will make it more aggressive and the situation will be out of the frying pan into the fire.
Nevertheless you shall have to train it not to bark. This can be done by means of the best dog obedience training. It is found that the dog who barks irrespective of the cautions of the owner doesn’t care for him. The basic reason is that it does not consider the owner as the leader. The dogs being acquainted with the notion of alpha dog for generations consider only the dominant attribute as the leader. An alpha dog, through its all-powerful rule, can make other dogs subservient and surrender before his position as well. You shall have to be the leader of the same type and have to establish yourself as the leader of the pack within short days of its arrival. This exerts a great influence on the consciousness of the dog. Any dog obedience training that includes this process may train it not to bark successfully.
Now, if this fails too, you shall have to think of other relevant steps. You can get hold of the dog bark collars that are available in the market and apply it in the best way. These are deemed as highly effective and do not harm also. How does the collar work? Whenever the dog starts barking the collar sprays a definite amount of citronella. This is disliked intensely by the dog and as a result it stops barking. But make sure that you do not use it at each and every time. The application of it should be limited.
You can also consult with the experts for betterment.